Sunday, January 30, 2011

In An Off-Hand Way

I’m a self confessed punctuality junkie. Whenever I get ready to go somewhere I have this over powering and inexplicable sense of urgency to get there exactly on time. Nothing gives me a better sense of adventure. Some go parasailing or skydiving. Hell, I look at a clock instead.
But in my 17 years of enlightened existence I’ve found that arriving on time or sometimes well before anyone has even showed up, can be downright awkward.
Arriving on time is really my forte. In fact, I should do it for a living. Unfortunately, arriving late isn’t. No matter how hard I try I just can’t manage to turn up late at any event. All my energy and intellectual potential gets invested in accomplishing a seemingly simple task such as reaching a little later than the time of arrival, yet somehow not getting abysmally delayed. It just doesn’t work out. I always always end up on time. It’s like some kind of divine intervention, which is obviously unasked for, obstructs me from fruitfully squandering my time.
Some call it admirable. I call it crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I too am a big believer in punctuality and can totally relate to how you feel. In some way, I viewed being late as being unfaithful or irresponsible-- though I think (especially in India) there are just some lonely few who feel this way. Too bad there are not too many people who appreciate this characteristic.In all fairness, I think the Mumbai traffic also plays a devilish part in this conditioning of our developing traits.
    It may not seem that way now, but it really is a valuable asset to acquire. Have U ever heard of the French proverb “The while we keep a man waiting, he reflects on our shortcomings”
    And as much as folks are surprised and probably not ready for you, when U show up on time---just muse on their reactions and keep your day interesting!! And when you are at the other end, waiting for those ‘late-latifs’ to show up—a good time for reflection and expressing some more of your eloquent thoughts. Time is never wasted, it may not be valued by some- it’s up to us to use it wisely!!
    Generally,here, people are on time— some Indians and other easterners, somehow factor in a defacto time, as part of the heritage!!
    So, lighten up, but-- keep up this good habit, practice punctuality to the letter—it will take U places--- on time. Besides, it’s the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punctuality is a measure of your respect for someone else's time. It is absolutely essential at railway stations and airports, in classrooms and dentists' clinics, in movie halls and auditoriums. But the particularity of being punctual should lie easy on your person and not set you a flutter or enslave you to the point of paranoia. It is well to arrive punctually with time to spare so one is not harried but if you are going to get harried about arriving in time, what's the point?
    Also , obsessive punctuality can have hilarious or disastrous results depending on whether you are spectator or victim. I know someone who arrived so early at a station that he boarded the wrong train!! Punctuality can also be in the mind of the time keeper or breaker and so often, sadly, becomes a matter of perspective.If you are told to be somewhere at 6, you arrive at 5.55 and are happy to be on time. Another may arrive at 6.30 and still happily consider himself on time, especially if you are the lone punctualist.

    Having said the above and weighed the pros and cons, if the world is divided into those who are punctual and those who are not, I would definitely like to be in the former category.
    Tick on!!

    ReplyDelete